Are you unsure which type of doctor to choose for your baby, child or teen? The Kansas City, MO, pediatricians at Pediatric Care North, an affiliate of Children's Mercy, offer the specialized care children need to maintain good health.
5 reasons your child needs a pediatrician
Pediatricians offer these benefits:
- Familiarity with Growth and Development: The needs of growing children are much different than those of adults. In addition to treating illnesses and injuries, pediatricians also evaluate your child's development and growth. Growth and development issues aren't always obvious yet may affect your child's physical or mental health. If any issues are noticed, your child's pediatrician can discuss options and treatments with you or refer your child to a specialist if needed.
- A Child-Friendly Environment: Visits to the doctor may be a little overwhelming for kids. Pediatricians understand that their young patients may feel apprehensive or shy and strive to make visits relaxed and positive. In addition to putting your child at ease, they'll offer age-appropriate explanations of illnesses, injuries and treatments.
- Treatment and Prevention of Common Childhood Illnesses: Pediatricians have plenty of experience diagnosing and treating illnesses and diseases that affect kids of all ages. They also offer vaccines that will prevent many diseases, including polio, influenza, rotavirus, whooping cough, measles, mumps, tetanus and meningitis.
- Help for Mental Health Issues: Childhood isn't always as carefree as it should be. Anxiety, depression and other mental health issues can affect kids as well as adults. Your pediatrician can offer a sympathetic ear and treatments for many mental health issues and also make referrals. Are you worried that your child may have autism or attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)? Your child's doctor can provide resources, discuss testing and offer referrals to specialists.
- Children's Hospital Privileges: Pediatricians have admitting privileges at children's hospitals like Children's Mercy in Kansas City. They can refer you to specialists at the hospital, help you make appointments, and coordinate your child's care if he or she is admitted to Children's Mercy.
Are you ready to schedule a visit with Pediatric Care North, an affiliate of Children's Mercy? Call the pediatricians in Kansas City, MO, at (816) 587-3200 to make your child's appointment.